www.tylisos.gr
Σήμερα η Τύλισος αφουγκράζεται τις σύγχρονες προκλήσεις και ανοίγει νέους δρόμους δράσης και προοπτικής στην κοινωνία της πληροφορικής. Προχωράμε με όραμα την ποιότητα των προσφερομένων υπηρεσιών, τη ριζική ανανέωση και αναδιάρθρωση όλων των πληροφοριών για τις υπηρεσίες και τα πολιτιστικά δρώμενα που προσφέρει ο δήμος μας.
 
20.04.2024
ΕλληνικάEnglish
ΜΕΝΟΥ
ΜΕΛΗ

Το έργο συγχρηματοδοτήθηκε από το Υπουργείο Αγροτικής Ανάπτυξης & Τροφίμων & την Ε.Ε από το Ε.Γ.Τ.Π.Ε. - Π Στα πλαίσια του Ε.Π. «Α.Α.-Α.Υ. 2000-2006» ΑΞΟΝΑΣ 7 Ολοκληρωμένα Προγράμματα Ανάπτυξης Αγροτικού Χώρου (Ο.Π.Α.Α.Χ.) Μέτρο 7.9.3
Municipal Districts Print E-mail
 
AIDONOCHORI
ASTYRAKI - KAMARAKI
GONIES
DAMASTA
KAMARI
KAMARIOTIS
KERAMOYTSI
MARATHOS
MONI
TYLISOS




AIDONOCHORI
Picturesque village west of Tylisos, 20 minutes drive from Tylisos (17km). The settlement is found in a height of 565m. inside an excellent environment with forestal expanses and holm-oak forests of magnificent natural beauty. Here is the impressive Secondary School, built in 1900.
At the site of Armanogia there are traces of Hellenistic period while in areas of Trochaliades and Chantakou the ruins of the existing buildings betray the life of the Minoans of the area. In the Sopata area an immense round stone shows us the place of sacrifices, at the period of idolatry. Main occupations of residents are agriculture and stock farming.
 
 
Image
View of Aidonochori
 
Points of Interest
Α. Places of Interest
Primary School (1900), Fountain of Aidonochori
In Armanogia traces of settlement of Hellenistic period 
Minoan remains in Trochaliades and Chantakou
Plate in Sopata area (place of sacrifices)
 
Β. Natural Environment 
Skalia area with a lot of green, Prinias area and Kolenia area until the Chalevro area (approximately 300 acres) with also a lot of green create a lanscape of special interest 

C. Useful Information
Tel.number of Municipal Department’s office 2810-510222



ASTIRAKI

Astyraki village is in a distance of 15 minutes west of Tylisos (13 km). It is built in a height of 550 meters, at the foot of Psiloritis Mountain with spectacular view and magnificent caves. The natural life of residents makes them the most long-living of the region.

Here, the sacred tree was an Astirakas, a plant used from the ancient years for the production of incense. The ancients Cretans worshipped Apollo as a Stirakit, a tree divinity, the heir of the immemorial god of vegetation. As a matter of fact, there also was the Stirakion Mountain.

Nowadays, most of the residents are occupied with agriculture, stock farming and apiculture. There are also considerable cultivations of garden products and of forestal areas. In the sights of the village are also contained: the church of Agios Konstantinos and the impressive Spiliara cave. In the village there are traditional rooms to let.        
 
Image
View of Astiraki


KAMARAKI
Kamaraki is a settlement of Astiraki. Here is located an admirable natural monument not only for the village but for the broader area of the Municipality as well, a magnificent cave called Chainospilo, with impressive stalagmites. In the village there are traditional accommodations for rent.

Image
View of Kamaraki

Points of Interest
Α. Places of Interest
Perennial Astirakas
Churches: Agios Konstantinos, Agios Antonios (Kamaraki)

Β. Natural Environment 
Caves: Spiliara – Chimaros, Chainospilio (in Kamaraki)
Remarkable areas are also “Koumou – Kefali”, “Dimani”, “Demata” (approachable by road) and “Arapena” which have forests with  holm-oaks as well as “Vothonas” next to Armanogia which is a forest with holm-oaks and oaks.

C. Useful Information
Tel. Number of Municipal Department’s Office 2810-510150
Cultural Society - Events

D. Accomodation – Gastronomy – Recreation Areas 
Elena’s rooms to let and five traditional cafeterias
GONIES    
Gonies village, in a height of 620 meters, retain the features of a mountainous settlement and is scaled on “Filiorimo” height of Psiloritis Mountain, 11 kilometers away from Tylisos, with unique monuments such as the plateau of Evdomou. At the top of the “Filorimo” height was found a Minoan Summit Sanctuary. Here we will admire, due to the location of the village, the Minoan palace of Sklavokampos.
On the east of the settlement are the Archontika, the district of the powerful of the village, in the old days. In the same district there is a Venetian fountain –the old aqueduct of Gonies- as well as the Byzantine church of Virgin Mary (the Assumption of the Virgin), built in the 13th century, with murals and carven chancels. At its foothills there is a reconditioned windmill built in 1904-1905 and on its top, the small church of Prophet Helias. When they were digging to fund it, a “high-passable” of the Minoan era was revealed, consisted by two contiguous rooms. Out of the village, at the length of the crossroad to Kamaraki, there is a watermill, saved in a quite good condition, which has been announced as a retainable monument.

The most ancient reference of the settlement is made in a Venetian contract in 1333. Gonies had always been a rebellious village. “The only village that didn’t bow”, as the Gonians characteristically say. It was repeatedly destructed by the Turks, and the most extravagant incident was the execution of 74 villagers in 1830. The residents are occupied with agriculture and stock-farming.


Image
View of Gonies

Points of Interest
Α. Places of Interest
Picturesque village, district with traditional Mansions
Old Aqueduct
Churhes: Virgin Mary of 13th century, Prophet Helias, etc)
Minoan Palace of Sklavokampos (1500 b.c.)
Filiorimos – Minoan Summit Sanctuary
Windmill (1904)
Watermill few metres out of the village

Β. Natural Environment 
Plateau of Evdomou (Kato and Epano Lakkos, fountain, cheese-dairy)
Gonian Gorge – Monument of those killed
Caves – Chasms (Psistraki, Tsakalos, etc)

C. Useful Information
Tel. Number of Municipal Department’s Office 2810-510052
Service of citizens on issues of Farmers’ Security Organisation takes place every Friday. 
Cultural Society - Eventsς

D. Accomodation – Gastronomy – Recreation Areas
There are three traditional cafeterias.     





 
DAMASTA  
In a distance of 30 minutes away from Tylisos (19, 5 km) is Damasta, built amphitheatrically in a wonderful planted valley that seems even more beautiful between the mountains.

The village had been completely destroyed by the Germans. Only few houses were left, in which the German garrison was settled, and the churches. The oldest of them all is the two-aisle church of Agios Nikolaos and the one of Virgin Mary (Panagia), built during the Venetian rule, with many elements of the Venetian architecture in its form and layout. Funnily enough, its bethel was located on the north side, not on the east as usual, but during a renovation it was placed to its right position. The other old church of the village is that of Agios Georgios and Agios Dimitrios. It is not known when it was built, but its chancel was made in 1795. It was renovated in 1894. Under the church of Agios Georgios and Dimitrios, the local cultural association has created a small folkloric museum.

In Damasta u can stay in the marvellous traditional mansion as well as u taste unique flavours from the traditional tavern of the village. The main occupation is agriculture and stock-farming follows. Also, residents are occupied with apiculture and peaches are produced.
 
Image
View of Damasta

Points of Interest
Α. Places of Interest
Churches: Venetian one of Agios Nikolaos & Virgin Mary, Agios Georgios and Agios Dimitrios of 17th century
Folkloric Museum of cultural Society
Keratidi – Monument of those killed during the period of National Resistance. 

Β. Natural Environment 

An area of special interest is an area with pines in the location of “Koufaliarous” as well as the geomorphological formations of high hills.
Damasta Cave

C. Useful Information
Tel. Number of Municipal Department’s Office 2810-521211
Service of citizens on issues of Farmers’ Security Organisation takes place every Tuesday in Marathos village.
Quarry
Cultural Society - Events
Agios Georgios Festival
Virgin Mary’s festival on 15/8

D. Accomodation – Gastronomy – Recreation Areas
Tavern: Damasta, Accomodation: Traditional Mansion Agrotikon, traditional cafeteria 
Top




 
KAMARI     
In a distance of 4 kilometers from Tylisos, within the beautiful olive-grooves, we will meet Kamari, an agrarian village with special beauty as its name proclaims (“kamari” means honor, pride). The settlement has maintained its traditional form. The visitor can be refreshed at the marble fountain with the Arabic inscription, from which the whole village used to be irrigated once.

At a central point, there is the impressive double-decked house of… “Mimikos’s brother”. It is the brother of the hero of the real romance “Mimikos and Mary”, who was a doctor in Kamari.

In a small distance from the settlement we will meet the very old gentrificated Byzantine church of Virgin Mary, built during the Turkish rule in an area wooded with vineyards and in the square the Church of Agios Nikolas who is the main saint of the village.
The residents are mostly occupied with agriculture and the production of olive-oil and soultanina raisins. In the cafeterias of the village we can feel the beat of the local society, since they are the only place of encounter for the residents. Next to the village streams the river Kamarianos in a place that makes a unique natural landscape.


Image
Central Square of Kamari – Church of Agios Nikolaos

 

Points of Interest
Α. Places of Interest
Old marble fountain in the area “Palia Vrisi” 
Churches: Byzantine Church of Virgin Mary, Agios Nikolaos

Β. Natural Environment 
Kamarianos River

C. Useful Information
Tel. Number of Municipal Department’s Office 2810-851380
Service of citizens on issues of Farmers’ Security Organisation takes place every Monday from 08:00 to 10:00 pm.
Cultural Society - Events

D. Accomodation – Gastronomy – Recreation Areas
A traditional cafeteria





KAMARIOTIS
It is a mountainous village west of Tylisos.
It is built in a beautiful location, at a height of 620 meters and in a distance only 25 minutes (15, 5 km) from Tylisos. The last few years the residents return for permanent installation, they recondition the old stone houses and the village is coming back to life. At a central point, there is the three-kliti (“klitos” is the aisle that divides the Christian church in two parts, or more if there are more than one klitos) arch-covered church of Agios Georgios, built in the 16th century. On the lintel of the west gate there is the lion of Agios Markos and on the bow of the central klitos the two-headed eagle, the blazon of the Byzantine family of the Kalergis.

The two-kliti Byzantine church of Virgin Mary, which is located at the edge of the village, has remarkable wall paintings and a tomb inside it. In the square of the village there is a Turkish fountain and next to it built barbeques and bakers. It is there, where the feast of Agios Georgios takes place in April and that of Virgin Mary on the 15th of August, with treat from the cultural association. In November, at the same place, the boiling of raki is being made, with appetizers. Here, there is a tavern with traditional food, where the visitor can enjoy the local cuisine.

At the western exit of Kamariotis there is a dirt-road that leads to Tripiti, where there is an impressive natural monument: huge rocks create “labyrinths” and compose strange shapes.

For a short walk, there is a path offered that goes through the oak-forest, a wonderful forest of oaks, locust trees, holms and the beautiful churches of Kamariotis, which extends almost to the village of Aidonochori. According to a local legend, the church bell of Agios Georgios had a golden bullet and a tremendous sound that could be heard as far as Chania. When the Turks came to the island, the residents hid the bell, probably in a hollow of the rock above which the church is built, and no-one ever saw it again… In 2004 renovating works of the Agios Georgios’s church started and the hopes that the bell with the golden bullet would be found were reanimated.
Residents’ main occupation is agriculture.
 
Image
The church of Agios Georgios in Kamariotis


Points of Interest
Α. Places of Interest
Square – Venetian Fountain
Churches: Agios Georgios of 16th century, a two aisled Byzantine Church of Saint Mary

Β. Natural Environment 
"Tripiti” area with impressive natural sculptures in rocks.
The whole region “Kremasto-Achlada-Armi-Kapsida” can be characterised as an area of special interest due to the opulent vegetation and due to the Forest with oaks, locust trees and pine trees, where there is an old watermill. Generally, the total lanscape with view towards Psiloritis Mountain is characterised as an area of special natural beauty.

C. Useful Information
Cultural Association - Events
Festival of Agios Georgios on 23rd of April
Festival of Virgin Mary on 15th of August
Events on Good Friday
Festival of Raki on November

D. Accomodation – Gastronomy – Recreation Areas
Traditional Tavern, Cultural Association’s cafeteria in the square, Cultural association’s rooms to let.
Top




 
KERAMOYTSI
In a distance of 3,5 kilometers south of Tylisos, within a territory planted with vineyards, we will meet the village of Keramoutsi. Its residents are mostlyoccupied with agriculture and especially with the cultivation of the vineyard and the production of raisin and olive for the making of exceptional virgin olive-oil. Passing along the narrow alleys the visitor can admire the old mansions while at the paved with slabs square they can cool themselves under the shadow of the immense mulberry that overhangs the village and which notifies the older occupation of the residents with the production of silk. There is a traditional cafeteria in which the visitor can taste the Cretan tsikoudia (raki) with homemade tidbits. At the new square of the village in the Secondary School’s ground, interesting cultural events are being performed every year. It remains a place whose heart still beats at the rhythm of the genuine Cretan tradition and hospitality.

You can also visit the old, derelict Venetian fortress Malvicino. It is the fortress that gave its name to the whole province. And the province, in its turn, gave its name to the most famous Cretan wine of all times: the Malvazia wine, which was exported to Europe for many centuries!

Captain Iraklis Kokkinidis was born in the village, a hero who sacrificed himself during the liberating battles of Crete against the Turkish enslavement. He had been the leader of Malevizi – Temenous in the revolution of 1866 and was killed in 1868 at the battle of Gazanos River, when he was 26 years old. The monument dedicated to his heroic figure and is located in the village will remind you of him…
There is a landscaped recreation area in the Flega location, in a flat next to the river.


Image
View of Keramoutsi

 
Points of Interest
Α. Places of Interest
 Churches: Virgin Mary of 14th century, Agios Antonios of 18th century
Square – Fountain – Bust of Iraklis Kokkinidis (Chieftain of Malevisi)
Ruins of Venetian Castle Malvicino

Β. Natural Environment 
 Flega location - river

C. Useful Information
Tel. Number of Municipal Department’s Office 2810-851079
Service of citizens on issues of Farmers’ Security Organisation takes place every Thursday from 08:00 to 10:00 pm.
Festival of Agios Ioannis of Klidona
Festival – Fest on the eve of Virgin Mary’s Celebration
Cultural Association - Events

D. Accomodation – Gastronomy – Recreation Areas

Cafeteria – tavern in the village’s square and 2 traditional coppers for raki. 





 
MARATHOS   
In a distance of 21 minutes (13 km) away from Tylisos, while crossing a truly wonderful route through the mountains, lies the village of Marathos which is confined by mountains. It is a mountainous village and its residents are occupied with stock-farming, apiculture and cultivation of olive not only for the production of olive-oil, but also for the famous raisin-olive of Marathos. At the foot of the mountain lies the famous cave Arkaliospilio, which remains mostly unexplored and is being said to extend within a big part of the mountain. Inside the village there are 5 tavernas and a traditional cafeteria where the visitor can taste the truly unique tastes of Cretan cuisine with the pure traditional materials and the unique Cretan care.

Also famous is the women’s association of Marathos “The xobliasto (with patterns) koulouraki” in which, apart from the homonymous product, all kinds of traditional sweets are being produced such as melomakarona (honey-fingers), kourampiedes (sugared shortbreads), kalitsounia as well as kneaded bread. Sticking to the tradition, the famous “koumparokouloura” (best man’s scones) are being produced, which are given to the best man or godfather in every wedding or christening.

We can singularly feel the magic of the unexplored Crete by following the agrarian road towards Fodele (7 kilometers) where we will meet the monastery of Agios Panteleimonas which is located within a beautiful wild forest. During all this green course with the platens and all kinds of trees we are accompanied at a small distance by the Marathian river which lets out in Fodele.

Every June, the cultural association of Marathos organizes the celebration of the “resain-olive”, where apart from the product of honour, traditional foods are also offered (snails with groats, magkiri, apaki etc.)
             
 
Image
View of Marathos

Points of Interest
Α. Places of Interest
Monument of those killed
Exhibition of sculptures of Marathian sculptor Ioanni Klinaki, under construction in the area of the old oil-mill
Churches: Agios Charalabos (Byzantine) & Monastery of Agios Panteleimonas of 17th century in the road towards Fodele

Β. Natural Environment 
Caves: Doxa, Arkalospilio
Marathian River – flume from Doxa up to Fodele  

C. Useful Information
Tel. Number of Municipal Department’s Office 2810-521341
Service of citizens on issues of Farmers’ Security Organisation takes place every Tuesday.
Cooperative of Women of Marathos “The xobliasto koulouraki”
Events of Marathos’s cultural association - celebration of the “resain-olive” in June

D. Accomodation – Gastronomy – Recreation Areas
There are 5 taverns and a traditional cafeteria
Top





 
MONI
Ascending from Tylisos towards Gonies, in a distance less than 5 minutes (2 km) and at a height of 240 metres we will find the village of Moni. Moni is reported in the inventory of the Guardian of Castle as Mogni with 50 residents in 1583 while in the Turkish inventory of 1881 are recorded 197 Christians and 2 Muslim residents.

From Moni comes the ranger Nikolaos Kavrochorianos who fell heroically fighting in Cyprus during the episodes of 1974. Here is the country chapel of Agios Georgios and Holy Cross “Chimeftou” (Juicer), which is built in an idyllic green location and is surrounded by big heels. There is a spring with cool water which refreshes the visitors of the village. The name of the location comes from the Latin word Humektus which means a cool, wet, area or from the word Humus or humos (which means “juice”).

On the east there are signs of an older sacred temple and at a distance of a hundred and fifty meters from the current temple there is a carved cell in a rock. It is a place of unbelievable natural beauty, that even the brush of the best painter could hardly ascribe it.

A route of special interest is also the route from the Gorge (Kastelos) towards Koule which ends up in “Chimeftou” where there are abandoned Turkish houses. The fertile ground in combination with the soft climate gives the region the possibility of production of a wide range of agricultural products such as potatoes, garden products, raisins, grapes and olives from which they are been produced respectively wine/raki and oil of an exceptional quality. At the same time, important is the occupation of residents with the stock-farming and the production of cheese products.


In the village the visitor can relax in the fountain located in the square of the village and taste the rich dishes in the traditional cafeteria – raki house which is found opposite the fountain.


    
Image
Fountain in Moni

Points of Interest
Α. Places of Interest
Monument for those killed during 1940-1944 in the entrance of the village and Tomb of Nikolaos Kavrochorianos in the church of Evaggelistrias.
Churches: Agia Paraskevi (Patron Saint) & Agios Ioannis, Evaggelistria, Agia Marina, Church of Agios Georgios and Holy Cross (Country Chapel).

Β. Natural Environment 
Location “Chymeftou” – Spring
Route from the Gorge (Kastelos) towards Koule – “Chimeftou”

C. Useful Information
Tel. Number of Municipal Department’s Office 2810-831460
Service of citizens on issues of Farmers’ Security Organisation takes place every Thursday from 08:00 to 10:00 pm.
Festival of Agia Paraskevi on 26/7
Cultural Association - Events

D. Accomodation – Gastronomy – Recreation Areas
Traditional cafeteria – raki house







TYLISOS
The capital of the Municipality, Tylisos is located on the eastern foot of Psiloritis, in a valley wooded by olive-trees and vineyards and in a distance of 15 minutes (12km) from Heraklion. It is proud of its name, which is retained the same for at least 3.400 years. It is the sole toponym from those read in the signs of Linear B writing of Knossos which continued being used without cease until today!
 
Patron saint is Agios Nikolaos, built at the end of 19th century, and on the 6th December, at his feast, fried haddock is served.  The oldest church of the village is Christ (Metamorphosis of the Savior), with saved murals of the early 14th century. In the square of Tylisos there is a reconstructed Venetian fountain, with two arches and two faucets, as well as many coffee-houses of different times. Some of the houses have neo-classical elements in their form, while two mansions of the early 20th century, in the centre of the village, have been announced retainable. Most of them are reconditioned, but maintain their original, simple architectonical form.

In Tylisos were found 3 big buildings which were characterized by I. Chatzidakis as “Residences”. These 3 buildings belong to the after Minoan period and were constituted by open courtyards, stairwells, rooms for the domestic staff, corridors, devotional areas, etc. Also, in the area was found a network of water supply. The area could be visited during all year while the discoveries are exposed in the archaeological museum of Heraklion.
 
Here we will meet the “Slate”. It is located opposite the church of Agios Georgios in Syriana. According to the tradition, what is now a slate (a contiguous stone), once was a cultivable field. Its owner was a farmer, and he was seeding it. One year he pleaded Agios Georgios to help him finish the tillage and seeding in order to make it to go to church for his sake (3rd November is Ag. Georgios the inebriate’s celebration). Indeed, Ag. Georgios helped him and he finished. The next year the same happened. The same was done the third year too. But the following, when he pleaded the Saint for the same reason, not only didn’t he help him, but in order to punish him he made his field infertile, a slate.

Residents’ main occupation is agriculture with the cultivation of olive and vineyard and the stock-farming. Many residents are also occupied with aviculture and apiculture.

 
 
Image
View of Tylisos
 
 
Points of Interest
Α. Places of Interest
Archaeological area – Minoan Residences
Pyrgos Summit: Sanctuary of Minoan era (2000 bc)
Traditional Settlement “Katsiladochori”
Churches: Agios Nikolaos of 19th century, Lord Christ of 14th century, Virgin Mary in Loutra, Virgin Mary Kera, Monastery of Agios Antonios (ruins in Katsiladochori), Agios Ioannis.
Venetian Fountain – Square
Watermill of Vasilogiannakis (Karas Milos area) 500-700 metres before Agios Georgios in Syriana 

Β. Natural Environment 
Strouboula Plateau (Holy Cross, Agios Georgios)
Voulismeno Aloni (Natural monument)
Slate in Syriana location (Opposite of Agios Georgios)
Keri area – Gorge of Almiros
Caves: Trapeza, Kamilari, etc
Spring of Agios Mamas


C. Useful Information
Tel. Number of Municipal Department’s Office 2810-831220, 2813-403700
Open from Monday to Friday, 7:30am – 3:00pm
Handicraft Activity
Cultural Association – Events (Fest of haddock on 5/12 etc)
“Cultural August”, events of Municipality of Tylisos every summer in all the Municipal Departments (Music – Theatrical Nights, etc) 

D. Accomodation – Gastronomy – Recreation Areas 
Arolithos traditional village (tavern, coffee-house, museum, cafeterias), Kares Land (tavern, cafeteria), Tavern-Grill house, Pizzeria-Flawn house, Titbit house-Coffee house, Cafeterias


 


 
 
VirtueMart
Forum
Videos
Site Map
Newsletter